Christ Church, North Brentor, Tavistock
In the middle of the village of North Brentor within a peaceful and well-maintained churchyard, Christ Church was built in 1856 as a Chapel of Ease within the parish of Lamerton to a design by the eminent architect, George Wightwick. It has a prominent tower at its west end, (the gift of Mrs. Isabella Holwell of Bonnaford), and a gabled north porch. The open timber roof and oak furnishings are simple in design. The font of 1856 and the painted reredos are the main features of interest and the stained glass is by Alfred Beer of Exeter. The oak rood screen encloses the short chancel which remains a peaceful place for prayer - it is available for quiet prayer or contemplation unless a service is in progress. The natural managed churchyard is enclosed by trees framing wider views of the village and its farmed landscape.
The church is at the heart of the village of North Brentor and enjoys its rural setting. Wildlife abounds and a pond has been created in the corner of the Glebe field on the opposite side of Church Lane. It is in the same parish as the tiny Church of Saint Michael de Rupe at Brent Tor (also a SPP) to which it is linked by road and by footpaths. Church services alternate between these two churches during the summer months and it is desirable to sustain and strengthen these links. A Pilgrimage Route is planned which will extend from Saint Michael de Rupe to Saint Michael’s at Chagford. The first pilgrimage walk will start from Brent Tor on Monday 26th August 2019.
Standard opening times: The church is open every day between 8.30 am and 5.30 pm . Services of Morning Prayer are held at 9.45 am every Sunday alternating with either a Family Service or Prayer and Praise once each month. 6 pm Evensong Services are held fortnightly during the winter months. There are also additional services for Festivals (i.e. Easter, Harvest, Christmas and Epiphany). There is a prayer tree for visitor’s prayer requests which are read as part of Intercessions at services.
Station Road, North Brentor, Devon, PL19 0LR, United Kingdom
Grid reference: SX 482 813
By car: Leave Tavistock on the Brentor Road leading to Lydford. After passing Brent Tor continue approx ¼ mile and turn right at signpost to North Brentor. At War Memorial turn right to Christ Church.
By public transport: The regular DARTLINE 118 services to Tavistock via Mary Tavy and Okehampton via Lydford stop at the War Memorial in North Brentor approx. 100 yards from Christ Church.
On foot: There are footpaths leading from the village towards Tavistock, Mary Tavy and Lydford. On Route 27 cycle route which is largely off-road.
There are level paths leading to the porch and around the church which are suitable for access by the disabled. There is a steel gate into the churchyard, a pair of wooden doors into the porch and oak doors leading into the church - all can be fully opened to allow access for push chairs or wheelchairs. There are steps into the church but a metal access ramp is available and can be installed immediately on request.
There are no public toilet facilities available at present. Nearest toilet is at the adjacent Village Hall (when it is open).
Coffee, tea and cake are provided for the congregation after services and it is planned for refreshments to be provided free of charge for visitors in the future. Self-catering and Bed & Breakfast accommodation is available in the immediate locality and in the surrounding area.
The Hospitaller visits the church at least once each week. He is prepared to make arrangements to welcome visitors between 10 am and 4 pm on weekdays.
Tel: 01822 810286