Welcome to all visitors - Tourists, Seekers and Pilgrims
A place where your mind can be idle, and forget its concerns, descend into silence, and worship in secret.— Thomas Merton
Small Pilgrim Places are:
- Spaces for pondering, breathing, meditating, praying and ‘being’
- Small places, not those already on the map, well-known, or that draw crowds;
- Simple, quiet and unpretentious, with the presence of the Divine;
- Places of worship, gardens, ruins, open spaces, holy wells, etc.;
- Welcoming and inclusive.
The Small Pilgrim Places Network:
- Brings together people who support the ethos of SPPs through prayer and practical support;
- Encourages members to promote the key elements of SPPs - quiet prayer and meditation, hospitality, silence, space and simplicity not only in SPPs but also in their own personal situations;
- Is mutually supportive, encouraging the exchange of experiences, inspiration and practicalities.
Today's Featured Place
In a peaceful setting, this 15th-16th century church has a fine example of an Easter sepulchre and roof bosses in the North aisle including three hares and a green man. There is a carefully managed …
Monday 6th September 2021, 10:59 AM
It is good to hear the Places are opening up again as restrictions ease, but please be aware that they may not yet have got back to their 'normal' opening patterns so it is advisable to check if you are planning a visit. Peterborough Quakers have sent news of their Quiet Day on Friday 10th September (see their entry for details) and for subsequent Quiet mornings, as well as their Quiet Garden being open everyday.